I found this exercise to be somewhat enlightening. It was wasn't difficult to focus on my loved ones and to enjoy the feelings of peace, love, health, and happiness. It was difficult though to feel them suffering. I always have a hard time dealing with my loved one's suffering in any way. When the exercise moved towards bringing in everyone, even those that we are not fond of, it really got difficult for me. I have been so used to shutting certain people out of my daily thoughts because of the fact that they envoke negative thoughts and feelings, it was hard to bring them into this exercise.
As for the concept of "mental workout", I see it as exercising our mind, training it as we do when we are training physically. When we decide to start a physical regimen to train our muscles, we follow this regimen until we get the desired results. The same applies to our mental workouts, we follow through with our mind, body, and spirit until we get the desired result of psychological flourishment.
Hope,
ReplyDeleteI did how it got increasingly difficult as the exercise directed us to focus on our enemies. I think the hurt experienced can be a battle to overcome. One thing that helps for me is to remember that unforgiveness is like a cancer, and it can affect my over health. Forgiveness is always for us, not the other person.
I as well found it a little difficult to focus more and more as the exercise went along. I know for myself when having to focus on those types of things it doesn't help me center and focus but leads to more stress and anxiety.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteThe exercise we we experienced is very moving, as we open ourselves not just for our love ones, but we also reached out to others whom we do not know personally but are reaching out to help feel, embrace, and rid of their pains. This is definitely a must try exercise for every and any one to try.
-Angel
Hope, I am glad you found this exercise to be enlightening. I am sorry you had so much trouble when she suggested you feel the suffering of your loved one. I personally did not get anything out of this exercise, so I am glad so many others found it helpful.
ReplyDeleteI found it hard to also think of those I am not too fond of. But after doing the exercise more and more, it helps in the long run to have positive thoughts about even that. These meditations are very helpful.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with your version of mental workouts. I see it as physical workouts as well. It's important that we train our minds to be stronger because it helps us grow and helps us move forward in our lives from the negative events and flourish.