Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Unit 7

During this exercise, I thought of a patient that I took care of a few years ago. He and I grew very close during the time we had together. I thought of all the chats that we had and all the love that poured through while he spoke of helping to raise his neices. It was obvious that he loved them as his own and they loved him just as much. When I was first assigned to him, I was told that he was very difficult and cantankerous toward all of his caregivers. To this day I only remember him calling me "baby" and kissing my hand after each visit. He loved Dr. Pepper and honeybuns so I made sure that he had one of each during each visit and he would give me the biggest toothless smile that would light up his whole face. These special visits came back to me and filled me with love and peace because I had the privledge of giving him special care at the end of his time here on earth. I also received something special when he trusted me to care for him and showed me so much affection all the way to the end.

The saying "one can not lead where one has not gone", holds true for me. If someone has not experienced something for themselves, then how can they truly lead by example? As an example, I chose to change my eating lifestyle to a plant base diet. As my health, attitude, and physical self changed, it was noticeable to the rest of my family. My husband, daughter, and one son followed my lead because of the improvements that they saw in me. I now have other family members asking me how they can make the same changes. It's about leading by example.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many times we come into contact with individuals, without knowing who they really are; I am glad that you got to know and learn from this individual. Additionally, it appears that you help him through this process, spiritually. I believe that a part of feeling wholeness is being able to touch other's lives. As a professional in the field of health and wellness, I have learned that this is not just a job, but rather a calling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel,

    That is a very touching story. I am so glad you got to meet someone that touched you and gave you wisdom in your life. I never had a grandpa or grandmother to look up to from either side of my family. I always have a soft heart towards any elder though. So, it's always good to hear such touching stories. :)
    I also agree that being in any health profession, it always seems like it is a calling. It's nota job, it's not a way to pass time, but a way of giving time to another. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete